Sunday, January 6, 2008

The Most Important Thing About Plastic Surgery

This is the inaugural post for a forum I hope will stimulate some truthful discussion about cosmetic surgery. Since there has been so much exposure in the news, reality TV shows, tabloids, perceptions of patients and doctors about the field can be distorted and may lead both the patient and the doctor down a disagreeable path. For example, some patients automatically assume that plastic surgeons showcased on TV shows are experts and excellent doctors. This is not always the case. What makes an outstanding physician and what makes for good television is not always compatible.
I have always wondered what a patient thinks is the most important thing when seeking out a plastic surgeon especially for cosmetic surgery. Is it the reputation and if so how does one judge reputation? Is it education? Is it specific experience in a specific procedure? Is it recommendations by friends, other patients, doctors, other professionals such as hairdressers, aestheticians? Is it office location, office decor, hospital affiliation, personality? Any comments?

Dr.Yuan

2 comments:

SLL said...

It is a crapshoot. To find a PS, first I would check credentials and hospital affiliation. Then, I meet the Dr to see if he/she fits my personality. If I can't communicate, I can't get what I want. I would only get what the surgeon wants to give. I also look for honesty. If I am bringing the dr a sack of potatoes to turn into a beautiful body, he better be able to tell me that yes, it is true, I have a sack of potatoes (I know some people who have difficulty with such honesty). That honesty leads me to have realistic expectations. Most importantly, somehow I want to see the the dr cares about me. He/she doesn't have to love me, but jeez, I hope the Dr feels bad if I die! If I feel like the Dr cares about me then I feel like we are both going to do everything we can to get what we both want. It is a team effort. Oh ya..and the office can't be dirty!

Bu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.